Discovering and deepening faith is a journey, a pilgrimage to draw closer to God through our understanding of the life, death and resurrection of His Son, Jesus Christ.
The Pilgrim Group meets in the Lower Mews at 7:30pm on alternate Thursdays to discuss, laugh, pray and study together. Check the online calendar to find out when the next Pilgrim Group meeting will take place.
The group began when a number of us wanted to study "The Pilgrim Course" written by theologians Stephen Cottrell, Steven Croft, Paula Gooder and Robert Atwell. We are still together and still called the Pilgrim Group.
During Spring and Summer we will be reflecting on spirituality – our own and other people’s. At each meeting an invited speaker will introduce us to the central theme. After a 30 or 40 minute talk there will be questions and open discussion. We have a strong team of challenging speakers to get us thinking and questioning, and this should be a challenging and rewarding course:
- Thursday 23rd March: Revd Canon Melvyn Matthews, “Spirituality and Mysticism”. Canon Matthews was Chancellor of Wells Cathedral and has written widely on mysticism. Many at Christ Church will remember him and his wife June as members of our congregation.
- Thursday 6th April: Revd Canon Robert Reiss, “Spirituality and the sceptical Christian”. Canon Reiss is Canon Emeritus of Westminster Abbey and author of The Sceptical Christian.
- Thursday 20th April: Revd David Gatcliffe, "The Spirituality of Icons".
- Thursday 4th May: Revd Canon Mark Oakley, “Spirituality and Poetry – the Splash of Words”. Canon Oakley is Chancellor of St Paul’s Cathedral and visiting lecturer in the Theology and Religious Studies Department at Kings College, London.
- Thursday 18th May: Revd Isobel Rathbone, “Going back to our roots – Saxon spirituality”. Revd Isobel is Priest in Charge of Batheaston with St Catherine and has a research interest in Saxon spirituality.
- Thursday 1st June: Revd David Gatcliffe, "The Spirituality of Icons".
- Thursday 15th June: Revd Philip Turner, "Spirituality and Pilgrimage".
- Thursday 29th June: Revd Gerry Reilly, "Benedictine Spirituality"
- Thursday 13th July: Preb Paula Hollingsworth, "The Spirituality of Jane Austen"
- Thursday 27th July: Mother Rita Elizabeth, "The Spirituality of Anglican Religious Life"